Saturday, April 08, 2006

Rylance on Recount, Monte Response

The Radio Commentary interview with Dan Rylance can be found here. The first 5 minutes or so are spent talking about the School District recount. Michelle Monte responded in the previous post--I'll reproduce it here so that the interview and the response are in the same blog post:

I am listening to the recorded version of Tony's show and have always enjoyed interviews with Dan Rylance. I am curious about something and maybe I am reading too much into the tone of his voice when discussing Dan Becker's "team."

I have never been in an election like this much less a recount and I am studying Political Science at UWO this semester. I am at the recount for two reasons: 1. I am trying to learn everything I can about the election laws and processes; 2. I am disturbed by the number of bungles that supposedly occurred during the election. I want to know if something went wrong and not every vote was fairly counted. I would also like to know if Amy won by votes or a computer glitch. It would be nice if she deserved her seat, wouldn't it?

Paul Esslinger was there as a taxpayer and a council member who was also disturbed by events of Tuesday night. I don't know what his assumptions are or motives, you would have to ask him.

I chose to sit by Dan because he invited me from the cheap seats and he has always been nice to me as a "freshman politician," so to speak, unlike others currently on the board; even when we have disagreed.

I realize Amy's team of her friend and her mom were not as "famous," but it isn't like she was all alone with her baby in the big bad board room with only the superintendent to talk to.

I was coaching junior bowling so I couldn't call in to the show to ask what Mr. Rylance meant. I certainly don't know him well enough to make assumptions or guess what he feels about anyone or anything. I have chosen, as a candidate, to pull a "McHugh" and be there to learn everything I can about election process, good or bad, exciting or dull.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand many of Michelle Monte's points. What purpose is served by mentioning who was there and who wasn't? There is a certain amount of snideness in her comments also. We saw this before the election and losing doesn't seem to have humbled her much. She's as arrogant as before.

Anonymous said...

Tony,the phrase "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" is Tennyson, not Shakespeare.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 12:33,

Did you listen to the radio discussion? If you haven't, please do and the comments from Michelle will make more sense.
Also, where do get off calling her arrogant. Just because she tells it like it is, doesn't qualify. She speaks the truth and there is no arrogance in wanting to learn from this process, especially because she was part of the election being recounted.

Anonymous said...

Pulling a McHugh is nothing to ever be proud of.

Michelle A. Monte said...

When I said pulling a "McHugh," I meant learning as much as I can about the processes involved with the school board, including election related processes. Although I am not sure what is so bad about a man who gained the trust of a large majority of voters and spent his days learning about a job, before starting it. For that matter, I don't know what is so bad about learning.

Anonymous said...

Pulling a Mchugh is an awful thing, considering he is the very same man who said during a school board meeting "Why should we educate special needs students since they can't learn anyway?" I would think Michelle monte of all people would recognize that only a truly ignorant and unintelligent person would ever be proud of being associated Mchugh.

Michelle A. Monte said...

First of all, I did not know Dennis McHugh before this year. I don't know what he was like on the school board, I have been here three years. Second, I don't know the context of the statment, so I cannot comment on that. If it was said in the context you portray, I would certainly give him an earful at the very least as my daughter is autistic.

I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with learning as much as you can about a position you hope (in McHugh's case elected) to fill. Since he was not running for school board, I never asked him his opinions on those topics. Thankfully, his opinions of special needs students have no bearing on his service to the common council.

Anonymous said...

No but it speaks to his sensibilities and judgement as a role model and community leader.

Anonymous said...

Yeah and I am sure every one of you opinions is in line, completely polite, sensible, and of sound judgment, No one has explained the context of the quote, if it is an accurate quote.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the quote is accurate, in fact even he realized he shouldn't have said that out loud as he decided not to seek re-election after making the statement.

In what context is it OK to say "Why should we educate special needs students since they can't learn anyway?" Just wondering when that would be an OK statement. It is disgusting and certainly not something someone who had "studied the job they wanted" would ever say...

Can't wait to hear the "spin" on this one.

Michelle A. Monte said...

Unlike those with insistance on bashing people for any and all reasons, I asked Mr. McHugh about the comment. It had nothing to do with his not running for reelection. He admitted the comment, explained what he was trying to express, and in my opinion apologized for the misunderstanding that continues. I do not agree with the comment, nor do I agree with the context. I cannot believe the entire sitting board of that time was even discussing how much space each student needs and trying to find ways to minimize as much as possible. I do not excuse Mr. McHugh. I do, however, find the entire situation reprehensible and hold every member of that board responsible for going down that road. Feel free to convince me of otherwise.

Anonymous said...

The board may have been trying to find ways to minimize and reduce - that is becoming a standard in these lean times. His comment is quite another and you cannot fault an entire board for Mr. Mchugh's insensitivity, or even compare the 2.