Friday, April 28, 2006

"I have here in my hand a list of . . ."

There I am at the Appleton Public Library on Thursday night with Brian Farmer (left) and Michael Bergan, doing my best impression of Joe McCarthy delivering his famous Wheeling, West Virginia speech of February 9, 1950. Many thanks to Chuck Miller for the photo.

Brian and I repeated many of the themes found in our Valley Scene essays. An audience of about 75-100 people (close to full capacity in the basement meeting room) watched "Good Night, and Good Luck" and then I delivered some remarks, followed by Brian and Michael. Audience members then made comments and asked questions. Appleton Public Library director Terry Dawson was beaming after the event, claiming it fully met his expectations and was very educational.

I was thrilled to have the oppportunity to speak. Many thanks to the Appleton Public Library and the Valley Scene for sponsoring such a special event.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The guy on the far left is looking at you like you're dangerous.

tony palmeri said...

Well, Jody almost banished me to the wingnut region after I dared question the religious status of angels. And as for you S.B., I was about 35 before my political beliefs were as yours are now. So, that means that by the time you are 35 you will probably make me look like Tucker Carlson or something :-).

Anonymous said...

See, I wrestled with that. The far left of the photo, or Tony's right while he's in the photo, which would of course be Tony's left when he faces the monitor to make his next post. So that would be both Tony's left and his right at that particular moment in time.

I don't have a day job - no one will hire me.

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez. Now why'd ya bring that angel business up again?
And who is Tucker Carlson - another Godfather of Grunge?

tony palmeri said...

Tucker Carlson is a right leaning pundit who used to co-host CNN Crossfire and now has his own show on MSNBC. He's an empty bow-tie. --TP

grumps said...

Carlson is also a poor Jeopardy player.