Friday, April 28, 2006

Living With War Is Here!

I have to admit I did not expect much from this album. From the press reports it seemed like it may have been rushed and overly sloppy; an aging rocker jumping on the BBB (Bash Bush Bandwagon).

Well, I am pleasantly surprised to say that the album sounds inspired--has the energy of the electric side of 1979's Rust Never Sleeps, which till now has been my favorite Neil album.

I'm not too proud to admit that the song "Living With War" literally brought me to tears this morning. Even though the United States has been at war or contributing to war somewhere, someplace almost continuously since WWII, our hyper-consumer culture, cartoon media, and all volunteer military allow most of us to ignore or forget that fact. The song "Living With War" simply and powerfully reminds us what we are in fact living with every day.

Good job Neil. You can listen to the entire record here.

No comments: