Sunday, May 14, 2006

T2T Salutes Moms and Blog Heroines

T2T sends out a special Mother's Day greeting to grandma Rosa Palmeri, who will be 103(!) on May 20th. The picture is from her 100th birthday party.

T2T would also like to recognize all the Blog Heroines, many of them moms, who have participated in this blog since its inception in December of '05 (with apologies to anyone inadvertently left out!):

  • Jody Thompson
  • Jan Thompson
  • Angel Aiken
  • Melanie Bloechl
  • Cheryl Hentz
  • Michelle Monte
  • Teresa Thiel
  • Kay Springstroh
  • Karen Bowen
  • Mary Stevens
  • Stephanie Barnard
  • Tina Haffeman
  • Wendy Matheson
  • Joan Leininger
For grandma and the Blog Heroines, we dedicate Julia Ward Howe's 1870 Mother's Day Proclamation:

Arise, then, women of this day!

Arise, all women who have hearts,
Whether our baptism be of water or of tears!

Say firmly:
"We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies, Our husbands will not come to us, reeking with carnage, for caresses and applause. Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience. We, the women of one country, will be too tender of those of another country to allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."

From the bosom of the devastated Earth a voice goes up with our own. It says: "Disarm! Disarm! The sword of murder is not the balance of justice." Blood does not wipe our dishonor, nor violence indicate possession. As men have often forsaken the plough and the anvil at the summons of war, let women now leave all that may be left of home for a great and earnest day of counsel.

Let them meet first, as women, to bewail and commemorate the dead. Let them solemnly take counsel with each other as to the means whereby the great human family can live in peace, each bearing after his own time the sacred impress, not of Caesar, but of God.

In the name of womanhood and humanity, I earnestly ask that a general congress of women without limit of nationality may be appointed and held at someplace deemed most convenient and at the earliest period consistent with its objects, to promote the alliance of the different nationalities, the amicable settlement of international questions, the great and general interests of peace.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Grandma Palmeri is that strong at 100, what will Oshkosh look like after 60 more years of Palmeri attention being lavished upon it? My, the visions that arise...
(Do I hear the distant strains of "Camelot"? I think I do)

You are so thoughtful to mention all of us on the list, epsecially since several of us (I beleive I can say this without upsetting the other women-folk) often get feedback that we are not heroines, but irritants.* So it is nice to think for a moment that I/we might be otherwise to someone. Or perhaps you are suggesting we can be both simultaneously? A heavenly thought.

Interesting image of our husbands "dripping with carnage" though - rather jarring.

But you know, all of that anti-war stuff in there, it's like spittin' in the wind - kind of depressing to think how unheeded (or despised)the voices who personify that message are. (Cindy S. for one)
Too many people in power expect women to be pink wool suit clad First Lady types, or book-smart but empty shells like Condi Rice. So I think the militant tone of the poem contrasted with the reality of today is a pretty sad juxtapostion. (One of my daughter's English class words, I get extra credit for using it in a sentence).

A John Fowles quote --
“Men love war because it allows them to look serious. Because it is the one thing that stops women laughing at them.”

Thank You again and Happy Grading Day to you

*Okay I admit, I have tried, maybe once or twice, to be just a tiny bit annoying.

Michelle A. Monte said...

Sniff...I'm so touched. Thanks Tony. Your a sweetie.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Tony, what a wonderful tribute to mothers. And thank you for your kind words about your so-called "blog heroines."

AngelAiken AKA Thee U.M.O.G said...

who's touching who??? quit it!lol:)

thank you tony, although, these days I wouldn't call myself much of a heroine...why will be revealed soon in my blog.

oh speaking of which, check out the poem I wrote for mother's day at www.weaponsofmasswords.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Still smartin' bout what you said about my boy Stephen(Colbert). But I'll grant you that I'm pretty sweet.

P.S. I actually don't have children. I set an admirable example for my fellow youths.

P.P.S. Thanks

thaffeman said...

Thank you for being a gracious and noble man.