Monday, January 01, 2007

RIP: Woody and Dale Weber

I just received word from Winnebago County District 20 Supervisor Mike Norton that Forrest "Woody" Weber and his wife Dale have been killed in a Missouri car accident. This is horrible news. Woody had served as District 1 Supervisor (Menasha) on the County Board since 2004. He also served on the Menasha Common Council and School Board.

I first met Woody and Dale in 1996, when I ran for the 54th State Assembly district seat as a Democrat. At that time they were active members of the Winnebago County Democratic Party, and were super supportive and encouraging. Woody was probably the most talkative human being I have ever met in my life--while sitting in a room with him you would NEVER be bored. And if there is a public servant more dedicated to his job than Woody Weber, I have yet to meet him or her. Woody studied every issue in depth, while speaking passionately and fighting like hell for things he believed in.

I did not know Dale as well as Woody, but she too was a scrappy fighter for a variety of causes. They were an incredibly fun couple to be around, and their dedication toward and love for each other was obvious.

Woody and Dale Weber were "small d" democrats in the best sense, always speaking out and fighting for the little guys and gals. They will be missed--much.

No comments: