Wednesday, January 03, 2007

My Background and Message

Yesterday I submitted nomination papers to be placed on the ballot for a seat on the Oshkosh Common Council. This blog will feature frequent comments on the campaign. Today I'd like to focus briefly on my background and campaign message.

My background. Originally from New York City, I came to Oshkosh in 1989 for a teaching position at UW Oshkosh. Today I am an associate professor of communication studies. I've twice been nominated for the campus' Distinguished Teaching Award, and this year received the Barbara K. Sniffen Faculty Service Award. I have served as Chair of the Department of Communication, President of the Faculty Senate, and President of the UW Oshkosh chapter of The Association of University of Wisconsin Professionals. In 2006-2007 I serve as President of the Wisconsin Communication Association, an organization that chose me as recipient of the Andrew M. Weaver "Communication Educator of the Year" Award in 2004.

I have been active in local politics as a candidate and media activist. As a candidate, I ran for the 54th State Assembly District in 1996 and 2004. As a media activist, I've produced and/or co-hosted a variety of projects including Commentary (with former Oshkosh Mayor Jim Mather), Radio Commentary, Eye on Oshkosh (with Cheryl Hentz) and the monthly column Media Rants. In 2005 my daily news website TonyPalmeri.Com earned recognition from the Oshkosh Public Library as "Best News and Commentary" site in their "Best Website in Oshkosh" contest.

My Message. The message of my campaign is simply this: City government at all levels must be held to higher standards of performance and accountability. Let me repeat that: City government at all levels must be held to higher standards of performance and accountability.

The serious issues facing this community, including poverty, deteriorating neighborhoods, how to deliver basic services in a period of tight budgets, lack of enough family supporting jobs, downtown redevelopment, and many others--have not been addressed adequately by the current Council and City Administration. In our Council/Manager form of government, the Council is charged with developing a vision for the city and demanding that the Manager display the leadership necessary to put that vision in place. Today, we have no Council vision and managerial leadership is absent. Public trust in city government is the lowest I've seen it in my 18 years as an Oshkosh resident. It's clearly time for a change.

I want to help usher in a new era of government in Oshkosh, a government that is open and accountable, treats all citizens with respect, and does not shy away from making tough decisions.

Over the next few weeks all of the candidates will be called upon to answer questions and take positions on specific issues. I look forward to being a part of that process. Anyone who would like to speak with me privately can call me at 235-1116 or email tony@tonypalmeri.com

No comments: