Tuesday, March 21, 2006

54th Assembly District Decision

After much reflection and consideration, I have decided that I will not be a candidate for the 54th Assembly District this year. Since November of 2004 my community and media activism commitments have expanded greatly. To run a full-time campaign for the 54th would put that activism on hold. Additionally, in 2006/2007 I am serving as President of the Wisconsin Communication Association. In that role I serve as a statewide advocate for speech communication education and educators, a role that is difficult to fill effectively while teaching full-time and running for political office.

I am honored by and thankful for the support and encouragement I have received from Oshkosh citizens. They understand that partisan politics is only one way of standing for social and economic justice, environmental protection, peace and nonviolence, and grassroots democracy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony, you stated in the A.T. that you were not endorsing a Republican or Democratic candidate. Why? Are you endorsing any candidates for any race? Partisan or non-partisan?

tony palmeri said...

I announced several weeks ago that I am no longer responding to anonymous posts. If in the future someone with a real name and real contact information asks the same questions, I would be happy to answer. Thanks for understanding.