Saturday, February 09, 2008

Oshkosh as Simulated Bombing Target: Your Thoughts?

In late January the Apppleton Post-Crescent reported that the Wisconsin Air National Guard will perform "dry attack training" in Menasha. Jim Lundstrom, editor of the Fox Valley's alternative monthly The Scene, contacted the military and in an email to concerned citizens said: "The story makes it sound as if everything's happening in Menasha, but the military tells me the target area is from Appleton to Oshkosh. The military also informed me that they did not have to reveal any of this, but did so as a courtesy to the communities."

The war games will indeed take place in Oshkosh. At this coming Tuesday's Common Council meeting, we are being asked to approve item #10 in the city manager's report: "URBAN CLOSE AIR SUPPORT EXERCISES: Request permission to grant approval to the Air National Guard Combat Readiness Center, located at the Volk Field Air National Guard Base, Wisconsin, to conduct Urban Close Air Support exercises in and in the airspace above the city of Oshkosh."

The Common Council was sent a memo from WI ANG Director of Operations, Lt. Col. Brendan Smith, that I don't believe is on the city website. I've scanned it on my computer and you can find page 1 here and page 2 here.

The Fox Valley Peace Coalition plans to protest the training. They will be at Menasha City Hall (140 Main St.) at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 12. For more information contact Dr. Ann Frisch at afrisch@voyager.net. They are also encouraging concerned citizens to attend the Oshkosh Common Council meeting at 6 p.m. on the 12th. Protesters will gather outside City Hall (215 Church Ave.) before the start of the meeting. Contact Dr. Frisch for more information.

How do you feel about Oshkosh being used as a military training ground? If you were on the council, what questions would you ask the representative from the WI ANG? You can post here, email me privately at tony@tonypalmeri.com or tpalmeri@ci.oshkosh.wi.us call me at 235-1116.

2 comments:

CJ said...

Though opposed to the war, I do support adequate and necessary training of our troops.

I do wonder why our area has been selected. I have concerns about what times of day the excersizes will run and how long they'll be.

Will there be sufficient time to publicize notification of the excersizes in advance?

How will it impact activity of our surrounding air fields (ie- Wittman Field)?

What kind of noise levels can we expect to experience?

Are other urban areas around the state also being utilized for training excersizes? If so- which ones? If no- why not?

Basically, I have more questions before I can offer an opinion. But the above ones are a good start.

loninappleton said...

I just can't get all worked up about this. I live in Appleton and not Menasha or Oshkosh.

If the citizens really want to protect the airspace, I suggest session as is being put forth in Vermont.

See this:

http://www.vtcommons.org/

I not only suggest it, I approve of it.