Tuesday, June 06, 2006

RIP: Billy Preston, The Fifth Beatle

Legendary keyboardist Billy Preston died today at age 59 from kidney failure. Other musicians have been referred to as the "Fifth Beatle," but Preston actually made it into the famous rooftop performance of "Get Back."

Top-40 radio might be tolerable if they still made songs like "Nothing From Nothing" (I'm pretty sure this was the first song and Preston was the first musical artist ever to perform on "Saturday Night Live," although Janis Ian was on the first SNL too and she may have performed first.).

2 comments:

Penrick said...

My god, he is much younger than I thought.

Anonymous said...

I've got a song,
I ain't got no melody
How am I gonna sing it with my friends


I liked Billy, but not a huge Beatles fan. Billy was cool.