Monday, March 31, 2008

RIP: Robert L. "Doc" Snyder

Bob "Doc" Snyder, the founder UW Oshkosh campus radio station WRST-FM 90.3, died last Wednesday after suffering a stroke. For more than 40 years, Doc hosted "Doc's Jazz City" on WRST. He was an extraordinarily gifted and talented teacher, earning the campus' Distinguished Teaching Award as well as the prestigious Rosebush Professorship. In 1968 he published a book on depression ere documentary filmmaker Pare Lorentz. The Wisconsin Broadcasters Association inducted Bob Snyder into their Hall of Fame in 2001.

I have a great deal of love, admiration, and respect for Doc Snyder. In the early 1990s he actively encouraged me to get involved with the campus' television and radio stations, and provided much support and guidance for the "Commentary" television and radio programs. He was also a great role model of academic citizenship and service. My campus office is located on the same floor as the WRST studios, and over the years Doc and I had countless conversations about a variety of topics.

I know I have VHS tapes of Bob Snyder appearing on the television Commentary. Perhaps those tapes can be converted to DVD and turned into online videos. The Radio Commentary interview with Snyder, which took place in 2006 at around the time of the station's 40th anniversary, can be found here. It's a fun interview, with Doc sharing lots of anecdotes, and includes in it some of his all-time favorite jazz tunes (by Billy Eckstein, Duke Ellington, and the George Shearing Quintet).

Today it will feel very empty in that office and at the WRST studios. I'll post funeral information and the official obituary as they become available.

(Below: Bob Snyder on the left with Ben Jarman)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I met "Doc" Snyder once, at a church meeting, and he left a lasting impression on me. Although our paths never crossed again, I loved his radio show and know that he is a man that won't be easily forgotten. Hats off to you, Doc!