Thursday, September 07, 2006

Vogeler Letter to Garvey

Green Party US Senate candidate Rae Vogeler sent the letter below to Ed Garvey, requesting that she be given the opportunity to speak at the so-called Fighting Bob Fest this Saturday. Rae's supporters have been told that she cannot speak because she is a candidate. Does Ed really expect anyone to believe that if Tammy Baldwin, for example, were challenging Herb Kohl in a Democratic primary that she would not be invited to speak at BobFest? Does he want us to believe that if Spencer Black were challenging Doyle in a primary for governor that Spencer would not be speaking?

You can email Ed at Comments@FightingBob.com

Hi Ed,

I hope you're doing well. I am sending this email to again request speaking at "Fighting Bob Fest" this Saturday, September 9th. My campaign has asked several times, and has been turned down each time.

I was told I could not speak because I am running for office. It seems peculiar that Tammy Baldwin, a Democratic Party candidate for Congress, is allowed to speak at "Fighting Bob Fest" and I am not. It has come to my attention that Gwen Moore spoke in the past when she was running for Congress as a Democrat. And it is most unusual that no Green Party speaker at all is scheduled this Saturday.

I mentioned this situation in my WORT radio interview today at 12:30 pm, and numerous people called in, dismayed that "Fighting Bob Fest" is not living up to Robert La Follette's legacy. He ran for President in 1924 as a Progressive Party candidate, breaking with the Republican Party. I said on WORT that he is probably turning over in his grave, knowing that a Chautauqua in his name is denying third party candidates speaking privileges, especially given the theme "Hold Them Accountable." I am trying to hold Herb Kohl and others accountable for supporting the Iraq war, cuts on domestic programs, and infringements on our civil liberties.

I ask that you reconsider your decision and be accountable to those who want diverse voices at "Fighting Bob Fest 2006." I am interested in an equal opportunity to address the grandstand audience at the festival. I respectfully request a reply with your decision by 5:00 pm, Thursday, September 7th. I would be happy to speak with you directly about how long and the content of my speech. You can reach me at 608-237-1337.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Rae Vogeler - http://www.VoteRae.org

No comments: