Monday, August 21, 2006

Wheezin' in the Wind


Chris Richards in the Washington Post says that Bob Dylan's failing voice is making his tunes unrecognizeable these days. Of course Dylan's appeal never was his singing, anyway (nor was it his guitar and harmonica playing). He's one of those artists I never really liked, yet always ended up buying his records anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Being that his voice is shot, perhaps we will start seeing more covers of his tunes. I like Scottish singer KT Tunstall's version of "Tangled Up In Blue." (see below)

3 comments:

xoff said...

The best Dylan interpreter, hands down, is Jimmy LaFave.

Check him out.

rich said...

Actually, Dylan's voice is better than ever and probably sounds the way he always wanted it too. I read the Washington Post review. That guy just doesn't get it. Dylan's current shows are incredible. Besides being the greatest poet ever, Dylan is among the best vocalists and musicians. Try reading Rolling Stone's review of his new album:
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/11277554/review/11286830/modern_times

rich said...

I forgot - Did you see Dylan's election night show in Oshkosh a couple of years ago? It was incredible and included the most powerful and timely performance of "Masters of War" that I have ever seen. (By the way, the true Dylan fans understand every word!)