Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thirty Days

In his January 16th, 2009 newsletter, City Manager Rohloff says this: "Our agreement with Oshkosh River Development allows me to grant up to two, 30-day extensions."

At the January 19th meeting of the Redevelopment Authority, Mayor Tower and Community Development Director Jackson Kinney take the view that no resolution is needed to grant the extension(s).

The agreement the Common Council majority passed in October of last year says this: "If the developer is diligently pursuing its due diligence with respect to the project, then the developer would have the right to extend this due diligence period for two additional periods of thirty days each, but only with the City/RDA's consent."

I'm sorry, but I can't see where that language gives the City Manager the authority to grant extensions, unless he is somehow king of the City and RDA. I have asked for clarification and will let you know what I find out.

4 comments:

CJ said...

"...the developer would have the right to extend this due diligence period for two additional periods of thirty days each, but only with the City/RDA's consent."

My guess is with a little internal arm bending the slash will be interpereted as "and/or" not as "by the City and the RDA".

I think we just learned something Tony. And I'm not liking it at all.

tony palmeri said...

The Mayor has asked the city attorney to provide me with a rationale for why the City Manager granting the extension is proper. I have also asked the city clerk to place this item on the Tuesday meeting agenda as a discussion item.

CJ said...

How do the young'ins say it?

....Councilor, I think you've been punked.

CJ said...

Honestly- I don't have a problem giving the Dumke's an extension for 30 or 60 days. There's nothing else on the table at this time, is there?

I do understand that the RDA wants to get things done. What I don't like is the "internal muscle" affecting the decision making process. But you knew that already.

The city manager serves at the will of the council, not just the mayor.