Tuesday, August 14, 2007

R.I.P: Phil "The Scooter" Rizzuto

New York Yankees' Hall of Fame shortstop and broadcaster Phil Rizzuto died today at the age of 89. I grew up watching Yankee games on WPIX TV in New York (often on a rabbit eared antenna television that required a pair of pliers to change the channel), and Rizzuto was by far my favorite broadcaster.

Rizzuto was an Italian-Catholic guy from Brooklyn and maybe I identified with him for that reason alone, but I think it was more than that. He had an engaging, youthful wackiness about him that many of us lose when we become "serious" adults. If your favorite uncle was a sports broadcaster, he'd probably sound a bit like Phil Rizzuto. Here's his 1994 induction speech at Cooperstown.

Thanks for the memories, Phil. I'm sure I'm not the only person who lost interest inYankee broadcasts after you retired.

1 comment:

grumps said...

Once you get under a certain age I'm betting that more people know Scooter for Paradise By The Dashboard Light.